Monday, September 3, 2018

Sep 3 - Night Full of Bull

Well...
...I'm sure everybody out there is familiar with the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) and their annual events. Turns out they come to Steamboat every year and just so happens we were there. There's not a lot of commentary to offer except: "These guys are crazy!!"  And...I've got a couple of shots to prove it. You're either a rodeo buff or not, I guess. I was raised in Houston and the Houston Fat Stock Show and Rodeo was an annual event. My goodness...as a kid I've stood on the arena fence and shook hands with: Roy and Dale, Hopalong Cassidy, Range Rider, Annie Oakley, Cisco and Pancho and the list goes on.

This particular evening included about 35-40 bull rides. Probably only 25% completed their rides, but all provided "Boat-loads" of spills and thrills. Here, then, is a photo recap of a just a few of the harrowing moments...

By far the most amazing ride of the night! This is about two (2) seconds into the ride...

...he's still hangin' on and finished eight (8) seconds and posted a decent score.

Ride 'em cowboy!!

Lookin' for a soft place to touch down.

He's lookin' like a pro here...but...

...looks like something' went haywire!

Not the preferred way to get off your bull...ouch!

Keep in mind the guys are hoping to win and earn...(drumroll) ... $3500...yee-ha!!

Get me outta here! This bull broke out of the bucking' shoot. Where there's a will there's a way!

This ain't this rodeo clowns "first rodeo"...rather nonchalant, I'd say.

The evening was action packed and full of excitement. It was a great way to end the Steamboat rodeo season. Afterwards...Lizzy and I walked down Yampa street a ways and made one last stop before calling it an evening. The Steamboat Chamber of Commerce can't be accused of being asleep-at-the-wheel.

Nothing better than a free concert to end the day...

...and in the shadow of the Steamboat ski jump hill.

We didn't realize until this year that ski jumping school is a huge deal. Every morning at 9:00am the future jumpers climb this hill and experience jump school. I surmise they just wet the astro-turf, and off they go. It's something to see, for sure!!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Great shots as usual. We were told it was the first Olympic training ski jump in the US. Bull riders are a different breed. Donnie Gay was my patient at Baylor on a few different occasions, also a few "Bull Fighters' (clowns) made the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about Donnie Gay. Around 1980 I was into riding the mechanical bull and thought I might be ready to ride a real one. I called the Mesquite Rodeo bull riding school and who should answer but Donnie Gay himself. It took him only five minutes to change my mind. I'm eternally grateful! LOL

      Delete